At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage, and change lives through the experience of dance.
We are seeking a mission-driven, experienced and strategic individual to lead Hubbard Street’s Production Department. Reporting to the Artistic Director and working closely with the Director of Finance & Administration, Associate Artistic Director, Director of Artistic Operations and the Rehearsal Director, the Director of Production is a key member of the senior management team and functions as the main point of contact for all production and technical needs of our organization, which performs in Chicago approximately four times a year in addition to touring nationally and internationally. The ideal production professional can work collaboratively with the organization’s leadership to ensure the balance of artistic quality, personnel, budget and schedule. This is a touring position; the Director of Production may be on the road 3-16 weeks/year with the company.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee and lead Hubbard Street’s part-time crew: four IATSE crew members and non-union Head of Wardrobe, and any as-needed contract labor.
- In conjunction with Hubbard Street IATSE crew, supervise all labor hired by venues where Hubbard Street performs.
- Oversee the load-in, technical rehearsals and strike at all venues.
- Ensure a safe, humane and respectful working environment.
- In coordination with the Artistic and Operations teams, responsible for crafting season calendar, tech, load-in, and strike schedules.
- Create and manage all production personnel work schedules.
- Schedule and/or run production meetings including: design meetings, production meetings, technical rehearsal schedules, etc.
- Proactively seek cross-departmental collaboration. Foster positive working relationships cross-departmentally by thoughtful, respectful and timely inter-departmental communication.
Budgeting and Planning:
- Responsible for the production department’s budgetary performance (approximately $1M).
- Lead season budgeting and planning for local performances and touring, in coordination with Artistic Director, Director of Finance & Administration.
- Draft, maintain and administer annual production budgets, tour budgets, individual project budgets, departmental personnel and capital budgets.
- Reports tracking of projections and actuals to Director of Finance & Administration on a regular and consistent basis.
- Overall lead on facilities topics including rehearsal studios, production spaces, and office.
- Primary contact with all outside maintenance/office vendors. Coordinate and monitor facility services and scheduling. Supervise all custodial work.
- Perform periodic review of all outside contracts and service agreements for potential economies.
- Supervise and coordinate safety and security procedures, including alarm training for staff.
- Maintain asset tracking and documentation (keys, etc).
- Oversee facility management and capital & maintenance plan and approve maintenance projects.
- Create, implement and manage a comprehensive technological plan, including the use, maintenance and replacement schedules of the telecommunications system, computer network system and office equipment.
- Uphold kitchen standards of cleanliness and responsibility among staff.
- Point person for current storage units; lead on departmental storage solutions.
- Organize secure and environmentally-friendly disposal of documents and electronics.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate.
- Maintain clean and safe warehouse and technical spaces
- Maintain clean and safe rehearsal studios for dancers.
- Special Event production in collaboration with Development department
- Maintain a working master repertory light plot and applicable lighting paperwork for Hubbard Street’s main company.
- Set lighting cues for current repertoire for all performances.
- Interpret and modify Hubbard Street’s work—where applicable—to fit within performance and venue constraints.
- Actively pursue and oversee outside rentals of Hubbard Street scenery, props, and wardrobe.
- Tour nationally and internationally with Hubbard Street.
- Develop and manage touring budgets, with travel inputs from Director of Artistic Operations.
- Create advance paperwork and tech packets for all Hubbard Street engagements, including light plots and line-set schedules, in a timely manner, to allow proper preparation time for Hubbard Street crew and venue Technical Directors.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Minimum five years’ experience as a technical/production manager in a non-profit or for-profit performing arts organization.
- Ideal candidate has a spirit of curiosity instead of judgment and is a generative problem solver.
- Demonstrated skill in project management and planning.
- Applicant should have a basic understanding of all elements of stagecraft, with specific training in theatrical lighting design and a working knowledge of theatrical lighting and dimming equipment.
- Preference given to those with touring experience and those who have experience working in an IATSE or union environment.
- Applicant should have literacy in a Microsoft Office environment and proficiency with specific production and lighting software including, but not limited to: Lightwright, Vectorworks and AutoCAD.
- Superior relationship building and interpersonal skills that allow the individual to function in a variety of settings among widely different groups of people.
- Valid drivers’ license, the ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds unassisted, and to work at heights up to 25 feet.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks candidates with demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.